Tuesday 24 April 2018

Morning bike ride with Melanie

So many things I have been granted for in life that sometimes makes me forgot to be grateful. One of the things is biking.

This morning I went to Mærsk building at Blegdamsvej with Melanie because I have a conference in her campus. It is just 2.8 km away from home and we went together by bike. She guided the way and I followed her from behind. The route to her campus passes small street. Thus there is no different level between bike lane and the car lane; even sometimes there is no bike lane. There were many construction sites along the way, so we need to pass a small path. And at one point, I was almost hit a cyclist from the opposite direction. "Fiuh… That was dangerous…", I said to her.

The most thrilling part was at the end of the journey before parking our bike. She used to park her bike in the basement, which is nice, the Mærsk building have such a very big and good parking lot for bikes in the basement. But she went to the basement on bike!! I am not used to it at all, going down on a steep slope, with my not-so-good brake. I made it to the basement without falling, yet I was literally shaking for 10 minutes. Fiuh… Thank God I am still in a good shape.

The journey this morning made me realise that I should be much more grateful. I do not have so much physical obstacles on my route to my campus. The route to go to my campus only passes some emotion-laden parks, relatively flat (well, yes, one uphill track at the end of the route), and with much lower physical obstacles. Even though the parks I pass through sometimes make me feel so mellow, but due to my cycling skill, the safety issue would be more important to me. No wonder Melanie has full safety equipment when she bikes.