Wednesday 19 August 2015

Ordering poster for Conference

I am so thankful of being a PhD student in University of Copenhagen. Next week, I am going to have a poster presentation in The 11th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium  in Gothenburg, Sweden. For that, I had some preparation such as making poster and had a little presentation (I would prefer to call it discussion, actually) to my lab member. Yesterday morning, I ordered the poster printing and after lunch time, we had the discussion. It was very nice to practice what I am going to talk about my poster. Also, they gave me some insight and suggestion for further research. I like the conducive and supportive atmosphere in the lab. I feel that people here are much friendlier, warmer and care compare to … (ehm, not to mention country I lived before).

So, I am going to explain how to order poster. It is very easy.

First, go to http://designguide.ku.dk/science/skabeloner/powerpoint/videnskabelige_postere/ to download the poster theme. Make your poster design. Edit it  many times, make sure that it will be great. Tips, do not stretch pictures. I prefer to make the design in power point. But my office mate suggested to use Microsoft publisher. I will learn about that next time.

Second, print order online. Go to http://itlc.science.ku.dk/english/posterprint/, click step 2. Fill in the form online and remember to use your alias or account project number. The printing invoice will be deducted from your project account. Upload the file in ppt and submit. System will notify you via email if the poster is ready to pick up. It will take max 4 days, but in my case, it was just 4 hours and my poster was ready to be picked.

Third, pick up your poster. Email notification will let you know where to pick up your poster. In my case, I need to go to KUB (København Universitets Bibliotek) near my office. Arriving there, I went to the 1st floor and ask somebody in IT learning center that I am going to pick up my poster. I did not need to show anything, just tell them my name. Also I did not need to pay anything because it will be deducted from my project account. I did not need to even sign something, marking that I have picked my poster up. They just trust me that I will only take my own poster and not the other. Not like in Indonesia where most people are religious but we are treated full of suspicion.

Overall, I am happy with my poster because it was printed on polyester. The woman at ITLC said that I can fold it like I fold cloth and put it in my suitcase. It’s very simple that I do not need tube to bring it. Wish me a great experience in the symposium!